Places of interest in Aldershot, GU52
In 1491, a new arrangement was instigated. The Prior at Winchester began to lease Fleet Ponds and the pastures there to a tenant at Fleet Farm, at an annual rent of 23 shillings and 4 pence ( plus a hundred of the fishes, pike, tenches, perches, bream and roaches, to he carried and delivered (to Winchester) in a good and fresh state. The tenants were required to maintain the bridge at their own expense, except that the Lord Prior would provide the timber. There is a hint in this exception that woodland may not have been plentiful on Fleet Farm.
During the Civil War, when the Parliamentarian forces besieged Reading, the church tower was garrisoned by the King's forces and used as a gun platform. As a consequence it was in turn attacked by the besieging artillery and the upper part of the tower, including its spire, was destroyed in 1643. The fabric was restored at the end of hostilities.
The 18th century saw the beginning of a major iron works in the town and the growth of the brewing trade for which Reading was to become famous. Agricultural products from the surrounding area still used Reading as a market place, especially at the famous Reading cheese fair but now trade was coming in from a wider area.
Kendrick's uniform consists:
From 1898 to 1900 Flora Thompson, author of Lark Rise to Candleford, was assistant postmistress in Grayshott. Among her customers were Arthur Conan Doyle, who lived at Undershaw (which became the Undershaw Hotel, now closed) next to Hindhead traffic lights, and George Bernard Shaw, who lived at Blen Cathra, now St Edmunds School, Hindhead.
Information by Wikipedia.com