News and Tips
Save Money On Your Packing Suppliesread more »
Moving House Made Easy with a Home Clearanceread more »
The Do's and Don'ts for Choosing the Right Removals Company for Youread more »
Save Time Later Whilst Packing Nowread more »
Handy Guide To Moving House As A Studentread more »
Places of interest in Dorking, RH4
Dorking is a historic market town at the foot of the North Downs approximately 25 miles (40 km) south of London, in Surrey, England.Dorking began life as a small staging post on Stane Street, the Roman Road which linked London to Chichester on the English Channel.Dorking appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as the Manor of Dorchinges. It was held by William the Conqueror. Its domesday assets were: one church, 3 mills worth 15s 4d, 16 ploughs, 3 acres (1.2 ha) of meadow, woodland and herbage worth 88 hogs
In England: A Nation, (London: R. Brimley Johnson, 1904), edited by Lucian Oldershaw, and in a chapter entitled "The Patriotic Idea" written by G. K. Chesterton, the beauty of Box Hill violated by an invading army is used to express a healthy patriot's love for his nation is opposed to the jingoistic nationalism of tabloid newspapers: "But just as a man who has been in love will find it difficult to write a whole frantic epic about a flirtation, so all that kind of rhetoric about the Union Jack and the Anglo-Saxon blood, which has made amusing the journalism of this country for the last six years, will be merely impossible to the man who has for one moment called up before himself what would be the real sensation of hearing that a foreign army was encamped on Box Hill."
The Homewood is a modernist house in Esher, Surrey, England. Designed by architect Patrick Gwynne for his parents, The Homewood was given by Gwynne to the National Trust in 1992.
Until World War II Painshill Park was held by a succession of private owners. In 1948 the estate was split up and sold in separate lots for commercial uses. The Park, as such, soon disappeared and its features fell into decay.
A signal box once stood at the western trackside approximately 50 yards from the southern end of the platform but this was also demolished (1992) when the level crossing changed to automatic lifting barrier type in the 1980s. The earlier manually operated gates were operated by a wheel turned by the signalman from within the box.
Information by Wikipedia.com