News and Tips
Save Time Later Whilst Packing Nowread more »
Handy Guide To Moving House As A Studentread more »
Why Picking the Right Removal Van Is So Importantread more »
The Benefits Of Packing Services From Removal Companiesread more »
Packing Supplies For Domestic Removalsread more »
Places of interest in Pulborough, RH20
The band owes much to local family the Slater?s. Phil (Grandfather) Slater and his eldest son Albert were founder members and there were four other Slater brothers who also played. Between them they played cornet, tenor horn, baritone and trombone, and were later joined by other members of their families. Albert took on the role of conductor in 1950 and also taught ex-conductor Doug Golds to play. The last Slater to play in the band was Reg, son of Fred, one of the original brothers. He left in the early nineties.
In the 1980s, oil was discovered beneath a large part of Cootham and a small pumping station was constructed at the corner of the gliding field. This is still operational and features two 'nodding donkey' pumps and a gas burner. Much of the area surrounding Cootham is protected from development, though housing has encroached significantly since the late 1980s and there is now little untouched land between Cootham and Storrington.
The village has always struggled in terms of leisure facilities, but has the Southwater Leisure Centre on Pevensey Road. The village boasts football, cricket, tennis, badminton, bowls, baseball and netball teams, who all compete at either a local or countywide level. Some of these teams are operated from Southwater Sports Club, located up Church Lane, opposite the church. For the more adventurous, the country park is able to offer facilities for sailing and canoeing, and in addition kids can be entertained at the adventure playground. For those interested in cycling and walking, the country park and new village centre both have direct access to the Downs Link footpath/cycleway.
The station was built by J.T. Firbank and opened on 4 November 1889. It was expanded by the addition of a large goods yard in 1905 which catered for the produce of the large number of markets gardens in the area, but by 1932 part of the yard was given over to the carriage sheds which, until mid-2008, stood to the west of the station.
There are 213 listed buildings in the borough of Worthing. Three of these?Castle Goring, St Mary's Church at Broadwater and the Archbishop's Palace at West Tarring?are classified at Grade I, which is used for buildings "of exceptional interest, sometimes considered to be internationally important".Worthing Pier, Park Crescent, Beach House and several churches are also listed.
Information by Wikipedia.com