Places of interest in Melrose, TD6
The town's name is recorded in its earliest form as Mailros, 'the bare peninsula' (Old Welsh or Brythonic), referring to the original site of the monastery, recorded by the Venerable Bede, in a bend of the river Tweed. The original monastery at Melrose is referred to in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle with the name Magilros (at which time Melrose was part of Northumbria).
A large auction mart has the main presence of the centre of the town although this could soon change. A new site, on the other side of the bypass has been earmarked for a new multi-million pound mart and visitor centre creating one of the biggest auction-marts in Scotland. This move would make way for a sizeable residential development on the former site, and it would be part of the controversial 900 house expansion of Newtown to serve as a commuter town for the Waverley Railway. Upon completion, it will terminate in nearby Tweedbank which will connect the Central Borders to Edinburgh.
There were 100 monks, without including the abbot and dignitaries. The last abbot was James Stuart, natural son of James V, who died in 1559. The privileges and possessions of the abbey were very extensive, and it was endowed by its founder, David, with the lands of Melrose, Eildon, and other places; the right of fishery on the Tweed; and succeeding monarchs increased its property. Sixty of the monks, it is said, renounced popery at the reformation. In 1542, the revenue of the abbey was, "£1758 in money, 14 chalders nine bolls of wheat, 56 chal. 5 bolls of barley, 78 chal. 13 bolls of meal, 44 chal. 10 bolls of oats, 84 capons, 620 poultry, 105 stone of butter, 8 chal. of salt, 340 loads of peats, and 500 carriages;" besides 60 bolls of corn, 300 barrels (48 m3) of ale, and 18 hogsheads of wine, for the service of the mass: a large quantity for the entertainment of strangers; £4,000 for the care of the sick; and £400 to the barber. These were given up at the commencement of the reformation in 1561. The lands were either seized by the crown, or divided amongst the nobles. A large portion fell into the hands of the Scotts of Buccleuch.
The small village of Springfield (population less than 1000) lies at the edge of the Howe of Fife, to the south of the town of Cupar, Fife, Scotland. The origin of the community is thought to be from the linen industry in the 19th century. The Church of Scotland parish church was built in 1861 (and now shares a minister with nearby Ceres and Kemback). The church garden was originally intended to be a cemetery, but the high water table prevented this. The community is surrounded by fields; agriculture is still an important part of the economy of north east Fife (although few Springfield residents work in agriculture).
The University researchers and students affected worked in the field of Artificial Intelligence (AI). The University of Edinburgh was a pioneer in the study of AI in the 1950s and one of the world's most comprehensive archival libraries in this field was destroyed by the fire. Little current research data was lost in the fire due to offsite backups. Since the fire, the School has been dispersed over a number of sites. In 2005 work began on a new building, the Informatics Forum, which was occupied mid-2008.
Information by Wikipedia.com